This article highlights the most important credentials needed to manage Enterprise Recon and its Master Server.
It also contains an in-depth guide on changing the passwords for the default Administrator accounts in both the Master Server Terminal console and the Web GUI.
- Boot Encryption password
This is the password you have to enter when booting up the Master Server.
It is set up during the initial installation of the Enterprise Recon Appliance.
Please be reminded to remember and safeguard this password in a secure location as there is absolutely no way to reset this password should you happen to lose it.
- Terminal administrator (root)
- Web GUI administrator (admin)
Terminal default admin user: root
Web GUI default admin user: admin
Default passwords: ChangeMeNow
Changing the password of "admin" from the Web GUI will change the password of "root" as well.
However, changing the password of "root" from the Terminal using the 'passwd' command will not change the password of "admin".
We advise against using the 'passwd' command to change the password for "root" but ultimately the choice is yours to make.
How to reset the "root" password
- Reboot your Master Server and press any key when the screen below appears
- This will bring you to the GRUB menu, press 'e'
- Select the kernel entry and press 'e' again
- Here you're able to temporarily change the kernel boot options, simply add an "s" to the end of the line and press 'Enter'
- You will be brought back to the menu, make sure the kernel entry is selected and this time, press 'b' to boot
- After entering your Boot Encryption password, the Master Server should boot up as root and you can now use the 'passwd' command to change the password for "root"
How to reset the "admin" password
- Login to your Master Server Terminal console as root
- Enter the command; /var/lib/er2/scripts/create-admin.rb admin '<TEMP_PASSWORD>' force
(eg. /var/lib/er2/scripts/create-admin.rb admin 'ChangeMeNow' force)
- You may now login to the Web GUI as "admin" with the temporary password you created
All information in this article is accurate and true as of the last edited date.